Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lactards and Vegans Beware!

Tonight I'm making cheese fondue.

It's comforting and social and warm and rich and filling. Everything you would want on a cold evening in the middle of winter.... Too bad it's spring. Oh well, it's a cool spring day.

Ingredients:
8 oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded
8 oz Emmentaler or good swiss cheese, shredded
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
1 cup Riesling wine, plus extra for later in the evening when the fondue needs more liquid
1-2 Tbs cherry brandy or kirsch
1 Tbs lemon juice
a pinch of nutmeg

Things to dip: french bread, vegetables, small children, very small rocks

Methods:
1. Coat the grated cheeses with the cornstarch, mixing throughly.
2. Rub the clove of garlic inside your fondue pot, discard.
3. Add the wine and kirsch, bring to a simmer and slowly add the cheese a handful at a time. Stir and wait for the cheese to melt before adding another handful.
4. When all the cheese is added and mostly melted add the lemon juice and nutmeg.

Helpful insights: The lemon juice breaks down the cheese and gives it a much smoother texture. If your fondue is the wrong consistency you need to adjust 1 of 4 things: cheese, wine, heat or lemon. For a fondue that's too runny: turn down the heat, and let some of the wine evaporate. If the fondue is too thick: turn up the heat, add some wine or a little lemon juice. You'll likely need to monitor and make adjustments during the party, but it's not rocket science.

Other amazing things I'll be eating and serving:
- Homemade bread made from this recipe book: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/. It's just too easy to make bread with this recipe. I feel like I'm cheating. Love it!
- A citrus quinoa salad that is easily the best preparation of quinoa I've ever had. I stole the idea from my amazing friend Regina: http://reginarae.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/quinoa-with-citrus-soaked-dried-fruit-mint/





2 comments:

  1. Oh KATE! I'm so glad it turned out! :-) And total aside, your post title made me burst out loud before I read your post. You're a HOOT!! Looks FAB, BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina!
    The quinoa salad turned out great. Many compliments from my guests. I even forwarded the recipe to a few folks.

    ReplyDelete