Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Facebook free is the way to be

Hey friends,
I have left the facebook world with very mixed feelings. I really loved using it to connect with family and friends, but it was getting creepy and annoying. I was willing to put up with all the Farmville requests and event requests in states I don't live in, but tonight the creep factor got the best of me. I was minding my own business looking at apartments in the Bay Area (it's become a major pass time), when all of a sudden my avatar pops up at the top of the webpage asking if I want to share what I'm looking at with my facebook friends.

I heard about this new feature on the news, but I didn't know what it would look like exactly. I suddenly felt this presence in my computer. The computer, the interwebs, the facebook, the somebody knew that I was looking at this webpage. I'm sure this happens all the time (I'm sure google knows everything about me and every other person who's ever been online), but to actually have it pointed out was not okay.

As Dane wisely said earlier this week: "I'm sure they're not trying to be creepy, but that doesn't change how I feel." It's absolutely true. It's hard to argue with how I feel. I know they give you all this control and all these privacy settings, but I'm not sure what they all mean.

Long story short: If you want to keep in touch with me just keep on reading this blog. I will try to call more often and we can have a genuine conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment