Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting nervous

Let me just start out by saying that I know everything will be just fine. We have a plan. We are smart people. We have an awesome road trip coming up. We almost have Masters degrees. We are prepared. We are planners.

BUT...

I would really like to have us (and all of our stuff) moved safely across the country and moved into an adorable 1 or 2 bedroom apartment on a quiet street in Berkeley less than 5 blocks from a BART station by June 26th. It also needs to have ample closet space, a well equipped kitchen, and parking. If we could have access to a yard and be close to a grocery store that would be amazing. We must be able to move in immediately. The landlord better be good. It must cost less than $2000 a month. Does such an apartment exist? I'm not sure.

I keep thinking of things, tiny things, we need to think about. For example:
- Do we need to get a parking permit for the moving truck to park on a city street?
- Did we insure our stuff for enough with the movers?
- Is it better to pack a bunch of valuable stuff in one box or spread over multiple boxes? What if that box gets lost?
- What is the likelihood my car will get broken into in a given neighborhood?
- Can we live in a first floor apartment or is that just an invitation to burglars?
- My health insurance is up on August 13th (a Friday, spooky). That's before I get back from field camp. Is this something I need to take care of before I leave?
- Do I have enough money to convince a landlord that I can pay rent even though I don't have a job after August?
- Was this move really a good idea?

Yes, it's true. I'm starting to doubt this whole move to California. It's just been the last few days. The reality of real life is setting in. I just want to get moving, get packing, and get on our road trip. This whole sit-around-and-study-for-finals thing is not the best thing for my busy, alway-thinking brain. I need a destination, an agenda, a goal--and soon.

The promise of family and friends at the end of the week is keeping me grounded.


2 comments:

  1. I think you're covered under your dad's insurance until you turn 25 (yay for MN law). Might want to double check on that - especially with all of the health care reform going on right now - but it should tide you over until after you're settled in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura! I'm actually covered under Dane's insurance as well because I'm his "domestic partner," but I think I have to fill out all the paper work for a new insurance plan in mid-June before I leave for field camp. I won't just be covered automatically right?

    ReplyDelete